Sunday, January 23, 2011

Breakfast Quesadillas!

I love quesadillas! It always amazes me when people ask how to make them, because to me, if you've ever made a grill cheese sandwich you can make a quesadilla. There is no wrong way to make one unless you are really kitchen challenged.
I didn't really feel like making anything too complicated this weekend, so I'm kicking it old school and making a breakfast quesadilla.

For this recipe you will need:
1/2 tablespoon of butter
2 strips of bacon
1/4 cup of chopped onion
3-4 whole mushrooms (about half a cup chopped)
1/2 of a fresh bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning (or more if you like it hot)
dash of salt and pepper to taste
two eggs for scrambling
3/4 cup of graded cheese
baby spinach
2 flour tortillas (because you can make two quesadillas with the above ingredients)

olé!


Start with a little bit of butter, maybe about 1/2 a tablespoon, and melt it in a pan. Add two strips of bacon cut up into small pieces, and start cooking. Your heat level should be at medium/high. No need to cook the bacon all the way through before adding other ingredients because it's going to cook more anyway.

Add about 1/4 cup of chopped onion

Add about 1/2 cup of chopped mushrooms

Add 1/2 of a green bell pepper

You really do not want to add any salt to the pan at this point. Salt will only cause the mushrooms to lose more of their moisture, and you do not want a really soggy pan. You can add your favorite seasoning. Some might add garlic, but for the purposes of this breakfast quesadilla, I'm adding my favorite Cajun Seasoning "Slap Ya MaMa"

Put two eggs in a bowl, and at this point add your salt and pepper.

Whisk your eggs all together.

Pour into your pan of vegetables.

Start ascramblin'!

If you were good boys and girls you did not walk away from your eggs and burn them!

Now it's time to put together your quesadilla!
Take a flour tortilla, and place it in a warm pan. I don't butter the outside of my tortilla, but some do for flavor. To me, I already have the flavor inside the tortilla, so I don't butter mine.

Add about 1/2 cup of graded cheese (your choice of flavor).

I love spinach greens, so I added some leaves to the top of the cheese. I didn't cook this with the veggies because I didn't want a strong spinach flavor, plus they will soften up after you add the next part of the recipe.

Spoon over a healthy amount of the egg mixture over the spinach and cheese.

Put a little more cheese on top of your egg mixture to help glue the other side of the tortilla as it cooks. This will help when you go to turn or flip the quesadilla so that things don't fall out.

Fold over the empty side of your tortilla. Some people will just place a second tortilla over the whole thing, but this is just easier to flip or turn, and a lot easier to cut later on.

Once the cheese is melted, cut into your quesadilla and plate it up!

I like to add a little dollop of sour cream and salsa, along with some fresh cracked pepper.

You want to eat this don't you? Ha! Too bad, it's all mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment