Sunday, March 6, 2011

Oatmeal Raisincran Cookies

I have new employees starting work tomorrow, and I figured I'd greet them with some cookies.
I didn't feel like making the standard chocolate chip, so decided to go with an Oatmeal Raisin. Then as I was mixing up the batter, I wanted to kick it up a little bit and add the dried cranberries I had left over in my cupboard from Christmas. Waste not want not! It was a great idea, by the way. The cranberry adds a nice tart punch to the cookie.

I think this is in my top ten cookie list now. If I had a top ten cookie list anyway.
I'm not sure why I took so many photos of these, other than
A) I wanted to place them on my new plate from Hobby Lobby (50% off thankyouverymuch!).
B) I really love my camera.
C) I really love Oatmeal Cookies.
I especially love Oatmeal Cookies with Raisins on the inside.
And Cranberries too.
And we can't have Oatmeal Raisincran Cookies without a Cream Cheese Frosting drizzle.
We just can't! That's just Un-American!
And then I made a batch that was just insane. I decided to go big.... And I like the red plate.
I think I got it from Walmart.
Not on sale.
Why is that important?
I don't know.
But here is the recipe if you ever want to try it.

(taken from a Quaker Oatmeal recipe)
1/2 pound margarine or butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
3 cups Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
icing:
1/2 a cup of cream cheese (softened)
1 box of powdered sugar
milk (enough to make a good drizzle)
1/2 tsp of vanilla

Heat oven to 350 F.
In large bowl, beat margarine and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
Combine your flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt all together, and add it to your sugar mixture (you can use your mixer, but I used a spatula), stir in your oats and raisins and cranberries as well. You do not want to over mix this, it's not a fluffy batter, but you do want to make sure it's all combined.

If you want really big cookies, it makes about 3 dozen. If you want regular sized cookies, you are looking at 4 dozen. They cook in the oven for about 10 minutes or so depending on how large you make them. The edges will be slightly brown. You may  be tempted to over cook them, but don't. You want them to be soft on the inside, not crunchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment