Saturday, June 25, 2011

Snickerdoodle Madness at Midnight!


One of the downsides in my life is that I have a hard time falling asleep at night. There are many factors to this. One could be that I have to read before I go to bed, a habit I've had since I was a little girl. I get to reading, and instead of putting me to sleep, my mind gets revved. Especially when I'm reading something food related.

Which brings me to my midnight Snickerdoodle cooking extravaganza.
I had one of those late night urges for something sweet, and Snickerdoodles just popped in to my head. I didn't want to make only one kind though, so I decided to split up my batch between cinnamon sugar and lemon sugar Snickerdoodles.

The results were outstandingly yummy!


Start with One cup of softened butter.
1 1/2 cups of sugar.


I'm deviating from the normal recipe by adding the zest of one lemon.
I guess the question arises: Is it really a Snickerdoodle with lemon zest in it?
I say, "Why not?"
It gives the batter a little umph, and isn't over powering.


Add 2 large eggs to the sugar/butter/lemon zest mixture.
Mix well.


In a separate bowl:
Combine 2 3/4 cups of flower, 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.


Add your flower mixture to your egg mixture, and again, mix well.


Below is what your batter should look like.
But, you're not ready to bake cookies yet, so hold your horses partner!

You need to keep your dough cool. Place it in the refrigerator for about 15 to 30 minutes.
While you're at it, place your un-greased cookie sheet in the fridge too.
You want to keep everything as cool as possible.


While your dough is chilling out, you can keep busy by making the sugars.


Put one cup of regular granulated sugar and the zest of 2 -3 lemons in a food processor and grind away. You've got yourself some lemony goodness right there!


Once your dough is cool enough, form small balls and roll them gently around the sugar. You don't have to go crazy like I did, and over sugar, but it'll turn out fine no matter how much you use so don't freak out if you feel like you used too much.



For the cinnamon sugar, take two tablespoons of regular sugar and 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon and mix it all together.




Bake your cookies for 10 minutes or until just set. I'm not a big fan of crispy cookies, I like mine soft and just shy of gooey.



Your final step:
Eat your cookie!
Then go to sleep, because it's 1 AM now, and it's time to go to bed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment