Saturday, September 13, 2014

Fully Loaded Stew


Here's a winner for the cooling weather! Healthy and filling: Fully Loaded Stew.

I took a package of beef stew meat and seasoned it with garlic salt and pepper. I threw a little millet flour on the meat and seared the pieces in my stew pot. I used a little bit of coconut oil at the bottom of my pot to help sear the juices in.

Once all sides of my beef were nice and brown, I added half of a medium sized bag of baby carrots, a small carton of porcini mushrooms, and a diced red onion. You can keep the mushrooms whole or cut them up. I just split them in half because I like big chunks in my stew. I let that go for a few minutes to mix in with the beef juices.


Next, I added a large can of diced tomatoes and water. I just filled my empty can with water, no specific measurements. I let this simmer covered for about 3 hours on medium low heat. You just want to go until the meat almost falls apart. You might need to add a little more water depending on how soupy you like your stew.

At this point, I added a cut up head of cauliflower and chopped up asparagus. When the cauliflower was nice and soft, I added in about two cups of Kale I tore up into bite sized pieces. I covered my pot again to let the kale wilt a little.


And that's it! No potatoes in this stew, but the cauliflower is a nice substitute.


Oh, and a little cheese on top never hurt anyone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment