Sunday, July 6, 2014

Healthy Stuffed Zucchini

I've made a different version of this before with ground beef and Italian sausage. This time around I wanted to lighten it up with lean ground turkey meat.

I think it came out pretty dang yummy!


I made the sauce like I make spaghetti sauce. I sautéed onion and bell pepper and a crushed clove of garlic in a pot, added my meat and cooked through. I added some red pepper flakes, a dash of oregano powder and a dash of dried basil leaves (this is to your taste, really, along with some fresh ground pepper and a teeny amount of salt). Then I added a can of petite diced tomatoes and a small can of tomato sauce. I cooked this all down until my sauce thickened to make a nice ragu.

I hollowed out a zucchini fresh from my dad's garden (thanks dad!). Placed some fresh mozzarella cheese at the bottom of my "boat", and then spooned my sauce over that. I grated some Romano cheese to top it all off. 

Bake in the oven at 350° for about a 1/2 of an hour to 45 minutes. Your zucchini should be fork tender but not collapsing.

That's it!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so making this for dinner tomorrow night... you are awesome!!! Would you like to be our personal chef!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete