Saturday, June 11, 2011

Strawberry Salsa

I have been in a Strawberry kind of mood so far this summer, which is kind of ironic considering Strawberries are one of my least favorite dessert types of fruit. However, since they are so abundant, and there are so many things you can do with them, I decided to go with an un-dessert type of dish.

Our next food competition at work is going to be a Salsa Battle. Since my Chrysanthemum Cupcakes won the last Food War, I have to defend my Golden Spatula, and I'm hoping something like this does the trick.

Strawberry Salsa


Start by dicing up about a pinto of fresh Strawberries and 1/2 of a red onion.
By the way, the measurements on this recipe are really entirely up to your taste. I started a little conservative since this was my first try out.



Next add one clove of garlic, finely minced.


Add 1/2 of a jalapeno, also minced.
Again, the amount is up to you. If you like it hot and also like a lot of garlic, by all means, you can add more. It's all about what is to your taste. I tend to start out small on my salsa, and add more as I go if I think it's needed. The reason I do this is because if you add too much too soon, it's hard to subtract the flavor you just added when you over did it.


Cut up 4 Roma Tomatoes and add it to your bowl with the garlic, jalapeno, onion, and Strawberries.


Squeeze the juice of one lime into the bowl. I highly recommend you start with half the lime and taste it after giving it a good stir, and if you think you need to add the other half of the lime then go for it.


Add fresh ground black pepper and salt to your taste.


Finally add about 1 tablespoon of fresh cilantro. (Depending on if you like cilantro. It's okay to omit if you don't like it, just like it's okay to add more if you do).


Give it a good stir and taste to see if you think it needs more of any of your previous ingredients. You may decide that it needs more tomatoes or more strawberries, or more salt and pepper. It's okay to have fun with this and mess around until you get the right flavor combination.


It really is a surprising flavor too. You get that nice kick of spice from the jalapeno, crunch from the onion, tangyness from the tomatoes, and a nice hit of sweet tartness from the strawberries. You can eat with regular tortilla chips, but I found that crackers did the trick just fine as well.



Try this out sometime soon!
It's a nice switch up on the standard tomato based salsa!

1 comment: