Sunday, October 19, 2014

Quinoa Stuffed Bell Pepper For Sunday Brunch


I'm trying to make a habit of utilizing quinoa in my diet, especially at breakfast. This stuff is so versatile, I have been finding all sorts of ways to include it into my meals.

I started with one cup of water to 1/2 a cup of rinsed quinoa. I cook it until the water evaporates and the seeds open up. 


While the quinoa is cooking up, I start on my other stuffing ingredients. 1/2 cup of breakfast sausage (sage works really well for this, but any kind will do). 1/2 of a diced onion, 1/2 a cup of chopped mushrooms, and 1/2 cup of diced sweet potato alond with some salt and pepper. Cook until the potatoes are tender.


I also added some minced jalapeƱo (about 1/2 a teaspoon).


While all that is frying up, chop up one kale leaf. Remove the stem.


Boom.


Add the kale to your meat and potato mixture to wilt a little.



I could stop here and just eat it all as is, but now is the time to add the cooked quinoa.




Again, I could eat this all up without going any farther, but I gotta stuff my pepper.


Place in a preheated oven at 350° for 20 minutes. Take another 5 under the broiler.


Not done yet! Cook an egg. I soft poached mine in coconut oil.


Now it's time to plate up. You can put the egg on top of your pepper, if you so choose, or off to the side. It's totally up to you and what you think looks purdy.



Or you can go for the open face look.


It's all good and healthy! Happy Sunday Brunching!

Here is your grocery list. Amounts vary based on how many people you are serving. I'm perpetually single, so the amounts below work for one to two people.

1/2 cup of rinsed quinoa
1/2 cup ground breakfast sausage
1/2 of a small onion, diced
1/2 cup of chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup diced sweet potato
Salt and pepper to your taste
Garlic seasoning if you wanna
1 cup of chopped kale (it will shrink)
1 red bell pepper (top and seeds removed)
1 egg

No comments:

Post a Comment