Sunday, March 22, 2015

Cheesy Cauliflower Bake


I'm on a pasta strike, but craving mac n cheese, so this option was the next best thing. Healthyish comfort food!


I started out by boiling the cauliflower in a pot until it became fork tender. It took about 20 minutes in well salted water. Once they were ready, I strained the cauliflower and set it in a baking dish along with a diced onion and some smoked sausage.


I set that aside to start on my cheese sauce. 

In a pan, melt 1/2 a cup of butter.


Add 2-3 tablespoons of flour and whisk really well to remove the lumps.


I also added a dash of salt, pepper, and some Cajun seasoning.


Then I added almond milk. About a cup to start out. It's going to get thick quick, like a gravy.


I added a second cup of milk, because it was getting too thick, along with a cup of cheddar cheese and a cup of pepper jack.


I also added about 1/2 a cup of chicken broth.


And some more cheese (just because I wanted to). It looks clumpy at first, but be patient! 


It all comes together after a few minutes of whisking over medium heat.

Next, I poured my cheese sauce over my cauliflower.



Top with more cheese and some bread crumbs. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes at 350°, or until the top gets golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.

That's it! You can eat a serving of this without the extra carbs from pasta, but still feel the indulgence. Win/Win!





1 comment: