Saturday, January 26, 2013

Hoisin Glazed Turkey Meatballs with Faux Rice

 
 
Last week I had a craving for meatballs and spaghetti, but since I've been eating more clean foods, I had to improvise and come up with a leaner version of my favorite Italian dish.
 
I ended up creating meatballs made with ground turkey meat along with a nice marinara on spaghetti squash, and let me tell you, I fell in love with turkey meat. My next goal was to make something more Asian inspired, so here we go!
  
 
  It's a pretty simple recipe to put together. One package of ground turkey meat, 1/2 of an onion chopped up fine, 1 crushed garlic clove (or just mince it), 1 egg, 1 teaspoon of Oyster Sauce, 1/2 cup of Panko bread crumbs, and salt and pepper to taste. Also, if you want some spice add some red pepper flakes. Easy Peasy. Promise.
 
Mix all that stuff together and form small meatballs. I used a cookie dough scoop to make each one similar in size, it also helps pack it together to just the right consistency. I set them on a parchment lined cookie sheet in nice little rows, sprayed them with some cooking spray and put them in the oven for a bout 20 to 25 minutes at 350.
 
 
For the sauce, I took 1/2 cup of Hoisin sauce, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of Oyster Sauce, 1 teaspoon of Plum Sauce, a couple of splashes of Fish Sauce, 1/4 cup of Agave Nectar (though brown sugar would be better I guess, agave just seems healthier in my mind). Whisk it all together. While your meatballs are warm, drop them in your hoisin sauce mixture and gently roll them around until they are all coated evenly.
 
To be honest, the measurements above are a good guess. I cook for one most nights, so I tried not to use too too much, but really I eyeballed everything and just tasted until it seemed to have the right flavor.
 
The "Rice" is not rice. It's my left over spaghetti squash chopped up to about rice size, along with a little bit of butter, some scallions, and splashed with some soy sauce.
 
Try it out some time! I think you will enjoy it, and if you don't, yer cray cray.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment