Friday, October 10, 2014

Fall Favorites: Zuppa Toscana

I love the start of fall in Oklahoma! The weather gets cooler and the food gets better. After months of heat, I can start making the meals I love the most. Warm, hearty soups to fill my tummy.

With that, my first soup of the season is Zuppa Toscana.


This as such a quick and easy soup to make. I don't think it took more than 45 minutes from start to finish.

I started by rendering down about 3 slices of bacon in my pot.


Then I broke up a 16 oz. tube of Italian sausage. You can also use the kind with the casings, but I wanted to go for speed while cooking tonight. I just left them in big chunks.


Next, I chopped up about a cup of celery and one whole onion, adding them to my cooking meat.


Stir that around and add about two cups of diced up new red potatoes. 


Seriously, the produce I bought from Murphy Farms LLC., was amazing. I hope they keep delivering to my town!


I started to add my seasonings at this point. It doesn't take much. I threw in some garlic salt, pepper, a little dried basil, and some red pepper flakes. Just start with a little of each and add more as you like it. 


After all the sausage has browned up and the vegetables have softened a little, add some chicken stock. I used the whole box (or two cans). Just make sure it's low sodium. I already have salt in the seasoning and sausage, there isn't a need for any more. Let your stock go at medium high heat for about 15 minutes, pot covered, then add a cup of heavy cream.


Stir and let simmer for about 15 more minutes then add about a cup of kale (stems removed). I just tore the greens up in to smaller pieces, letting it wilt in the broth for about 5 to 10 minutes with the pot covered. If you want more kale, by all means, add it. I won't tell on you!

 

My little buddy Milo was at my feet as usual. I couldn't tell if he just wanted to be near me, or if he was waiting for me to drop a stick of celery his way. Maybe a little of both?


And that's it! My version of Zuppa Toscana. Easy as one, two, three. The potatoes, oh they were so good. The melted like butter in my mouth!




No comments:

Post a Comment