Saturday, October 12, 2013

A Twist on Zuppa Toscana

 
I've never had Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana, crazy right? But after making this, I won't really worry about it too much in the future. It was A-MAZ-ING. Olive Garden can suck it, I don't need them anymore!

 
I wanted to lean towards the paleo/clean eating route, so I had to change a few of the ingredients. When I do this again, I may just leave the sweet potato out and stick with the cauliflower, but I do like the little kick the sweet potato gives. We'll see, I think it will depend on what kind of wild hair I have when I do it again; And there will be a next time.
 
Start with 3 strips of bacon cut into little pieces at the bottom of a hot pot. Add one chopped onion and 1 teaspoon of minced garlic; Let the ingredients cook on medium heat until the onions become translucent. Next peel and dice one sweet potato and add it to the pot to cook while baking Italian sausage links in the oven (I used one package, so about 4 links)
 
Once the links are cooked through, slice them up and add those to your pot of veggies along with some salt and pepper to your taste. Add one can of chicken broth plus two more cups (or two cans worth) of water. Let that simmer for about 10 minutes and add chunks of cauliflower (maybe one cup's worth) and a 1/2 pint of heavy cream. Cook until the sweet potatoes are fork tender but not mushy.
 
Lastly, about 10 minutes before you are ready to eat add about one cup of loosely chopped kale. Kale is key to this recipe. Leaving it out is sort of like leaving out noodles in chicken noodle soup. You just don't do it. Cover the pot for about 10 minutes and then serve.
 
The broth is what makes this so amazing. Trust me on this. It's a keeper.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment