Friday, December 6, 2013

Baked Apple Breakfast. Oatmeal Gone Wild.


When I woke up this morning I decided a simple breakfast of Oatmeal would not do. To kick it up a notch I decided to bake an apple and stuff it with yummy goodness.
Pre-heat your oven to 325. You will need to remove the stem of the apple. I used a Pink Lady apple (for no reason other than that is what I had). Flip the apple over and core it. I used my melonballer, but a spoon does fine too. 

You want to spoon out a good bit of apple and take out the seeds, unless you like seeds, which is odd but whatever floats your boat. Just don't take out too much of the inside because your apple will fall a part while baking if the walls are too thin. Place your cored apple in an oven safe pan, open side up.

In a separate bowl add 1/2 a cup of uncooked old fashioned oats, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, a pinch of salt and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. Stir that all together and stuff the filling in to your apple. Take a daub of butter and place it on top of the stuffed apple. Put it in to the oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes. 

You should have some caramel in your pan when you pull it out. Use it. It will get a little crunchy, but it gives a nice flavor.

I like to drizzle more maple syrup on mine and add a little banana. It's scrum. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment